Home / Essay Questions On The Crusades / College Admission Essay Pointers

College Admission Essay Pointers

What will make you the most interesting contributor to that dinner table conversation?

What will make you help everyone else have a more interesting experience?

Emphasize volunteer work or other ways you’ve helped people or made your community a better place.

It helps if the activity is related to the subject you want to study.

Never use text-style abbreviations or rude or profane language.

After the essay is submitted, check your email and voice mail daily to make sure you see and respond promptly to messages from admissions staff members.

Parents and students often ask us for our most valuable Common Application essay tips, so our savvy team of advisors compiled a list of simple, effective tricks to use as guidelines while you navigate the tricky waters of college essay writing. Now ask yourself- are any of these stories representative of my larger, most valuable qualities?

Think small: When writing the Common Application essay, too many students feel compelled to try and squeeze their entire life story into 650 words. Have you read something recently that blew your mind?

If you need more information on this how to stand out in college applications, be sure to download my free Ultimate Guide to College Admissions.For example, many students can’t see beyond the superficial prompt to construct an essay that positively communicates their personality and passion.Some students rehash their activities and achievements without adding the personal flavor, perspective and substance that admissions officers look for. As an independent college admissions consultant, I read many application essays and see many common application essay mistakes.More than 80% of American colleges accept half of their applicants.The other 20%, selective schools, struggle to differentiate students who have outstanding grades and test scores.Here are some tips compiled from experts for writing that all-important application essay, which can often mean the difference between getting accepted — or rejected — by the school of your choice.The essay is your megaphone — your view of the world and your ambitions.For example, Christopher Rim of Command Education Group, which coaches students, remembers that one student who wanted to become a dentist set up a nonprofit and held fund-raisers to distribute toothbrushes, toothpaste and other dental products to homeless shelters.Admissions staff members want to know how your presence will make the college a better place.It’s a 33-page guide that goes into how you can help your student stand out to colleges.This article was co-authored by Alexander Peterman. He received his MA in Education from the University of Florida in 2017.

694 comments

  1. Many students trip over common obstacles in their college application essays. For example, many students can't see beyond the superficial prompt to construct.

  2. Writing the Common Application essay can be tough. Here are our 6 simple tips, tricks and strategies to help you write a great college admissions essay.

  3. If you're applying to college or graduate school, check out these college essay writing tips regarding the Common Application, personal statement and more!

  4. College essays are so stressful! Check out 10 of the best college essay tips that I have to offer as someone who has applied to college twice.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*